Sunday, January 18, 2009

New Years in Ecuador!

Happy new year to everyone!
One of my very favorite Ecuadorian customs is the burning of viejos when the clocks strikes midnight on New Years eve. What exactly am i talking about? I mean burning life sized human figures in the streets-- well, sometimes human. In the weeks leading up to january 31rst the streets fill up with papermache hulks, sponge bobs, political figures, heads, limbs etc.

The tradition changes from town to town and especially between the culture of the sierra and the coast. In Palmar we burn the good and the bad and believe in doing so we will start the new year fresh. It is also said that if you take on the task of making, building or buying a viejo that you must keep doing that in the years to come or risk having a bad year. The photo below is Marcelo building our viejo: both he and miguel are in charge every year of this important task.










Once the clock strikes midnight the viejos are lit on fire in the street and most of the time firecrackers and other fireworks are thrown in as well to add to rowdyness. Then it´s time to jump of the burning papermache dolls. With my youth group only the boys do this and i am okay with that. I have never been cool with leaping over flaming people dolls.

This year was extra special because my sister, Amelia was visiting. It was really great because my youth group celebrates new years on the 30th so they can be with their families on the actual 31rst. So we had the traditional ecuadorian new years on the 30th and then went to puerto lopez to meet up with some other volunteers to celebrate with a gringo twist.


It´s really sad to think this is my last new years in palmar and in ecuador. I have spent the past four new years in latin america but i believe 2009 will bring me stateside for new years eve. But... who knows?
I am considering taking on the commitment and starting to make my own viejo and carry this wonderful tradition home to the streets on wisconsin. So if you see a gringuita burning a papermache doll in the snowy street next year, don´t call the cops but rather enjoy the light and let the year burn and start the new year fresh.











1 comment:

Deb Cook said...

I will be happy for you to burn the paper mache figures in the streets of Wisconsin because you will be home then. You have had an exciting and life changing experience in Ecuador ....I am so glad that it has been such an experience - you will miss Ecuador and the people and I know they will miss you too! mom