Monday, October 22, 2007

Viva La Provincia Santa Elena

So--Last Monday I was living in the Province of Guayas but this monday I am in the Province of Santa Elena. Did I move? Naw. There was a week of stikes, blocked highways and burning tires but it worked and last week Tuesday the congress voted and we became the newest province of Ecuador! One thing that I really dig about Ecuadorians is how they take it to the street until they see change. Not saying this always works but it inspires me, they know what they want and they go for it. Not sure if becoming the 24th province is the best choice or not but time will tell...who knows? I´m feeling hopeful. On the first day of the strike I got caught trying to get to the city of Libertad (about 40 km from Palmar) and it was a wild scene: flaming tires and buses, cars, trucks all backed up at each blocade. What I loved was how it wasn´t a bunch of angry people yelling but rather one big party- I mean, there were even vendors selling cokes and snacks. I heard later on there were a couple little run-ins with the police, but I think tension was inevitable.
As far as life in Palmar: I believe The Dude ( The Big Lebowski) says it best when he says, "strikes and gutters, ups and downs". Yesterday about 10 youth and I piled in the back of one girl´s uncles truck and tumbled down the Ruta Del Sol to a small village where from we hiked a good five hours through the jungle. At one point while eating some tuna a tarantula landed on Dayse´s shoulder ( who was sitting right next to me), thanks to Maestro our faithful guide and friend no one was bitten. He knocked it off her shoulder ( so it landing about an inch from me) and then killed it. It was a pretty intense hike, at the end we had to wade through a muddy river in our sneakers....dark water surrounded by jungle makes me nervous. In training we learned about a snake called Matacaballo which translates to HorseKiller because it can leap like 15 feet in order to kill it´s prey. There are no documented cases in years but I couldn´t help but wonder... But aside from tarantulas, snakes and dark water... the scenary was spectacular and Maestro, our guide was a really cool guy and his son Denis ( 10) came along too. He lives in a very humble house with his wife and kids- so we brought food and clothes. It was a pretty cool day--by the time I got home I was so cold and tired that I went to bed before 8pm.
Otherwise my days are always suprising. I help lead kids youth groups (make playdough and play rowdy games of duck, duck, goose) and plant gardens, clean storage sheds, plan upcoming interviews, talk to young mothers etc. I love being here but I do constantly worry that I could be doing more or doing things better or why can´t i speak spanish like a native (it would be so great). Instead I massacre verb forms on a daily basis and tell people that I am "poca casada" which means I am a "little married" when I mean "cansada", tired, I am a little tired. sigh. One day. One day I will speak correct Spanish!
And sometimes I just don´t have the words. Like today-- I met a young 13 year old mother who on top of all that has the chicken pox. She is standing there with her week old baby and I have no idea what to say to her in english, much less in spanish. Her face is tired and pale and she is wearing glittery lipstick and a pink t-shirt and while the woman I am with is telling her about the importance of vaccinations, I can tell the girl isn´t really listening and I feel completely helpless. What can I offer her...? So i smile and admire her baby and wonder... what can I do? Start a young mothers group--would she even come? Probably not. Do i know the first thing about being a young mother? Probably not. Do i feel like a very small gringa in a very big world? Yes. (which is funny because I am the tallest person here).

4 comments:

Deb said...

Hi Hannah...what a girl - I just want you to be very careful when doing these excursions. YOu are just too dear!

Love Debra

theresa said...

hannah,
you traitor! viva la guayas para siempre! (or is is por siempre...damn it, where is my mande book when i need it?)

your spanish cant be half as bad as mine, and we all had mothers, so we all have some frame of reference. if she doesnt come to the meeting, someone else will.

viva la trabaja! (or is it el trabajo...?)

paz,
tere

Unknown said...

hi hannah i am leaving for ecuador in february for the PC and would love to talk to someone who is already there

Unknown said...

sorry i realized you don't know how to get in touch with me but this is my e-mail and i hope i hear from you
pratsgabriela@gmail.com