Tuesday, September 11, 2007

First week in Palmar

I have now been in site for over a week. So many new things. Each day I am amazed by all the small things that people do that make me feel really welcome and help to not feel so alone. There are two small tiendas by my house---one has lights and more things to sell while the other is shall we say...not as visually pleasing. So i like to go to the not so nice store and the woman is so kind and always gives me some "yappa" which in Ecuador is "a little something extra". Sometimes a green pepper or some plaintains and she gets this cute little smile each time and slips a small something in the plastic bag. There is also "Papi" and "Mami" who sell bananas at the market: they call me their "niña" and give me toothless kisses everytime I pass by. I started visiting women with the Señora Andrea-- we talk about nutrition, pap smears, AIDS etc. We visit everyone--which is really nice as far as getting to know my new community. I still struggle with missing my fellow volunteers--it was really hard to leave them after surviving our two and a half month training. Hmmm....the beach is beautiful and I love walking outside in the mornings, coffee in hand and finding seashells and watching the red crabs scurry sideways into their holes. Well---my internet time is nearly up.
My address is

Hannah P Cook
Correo General
Salinas, Guayas
Ecuador
South America

1 comment:

seanismyhero said...

awww, those red crabs! i miss those sneaky little bastards -- so fast!

and i miss u. each day it's getting easier to be w/out u guys, but i still think abt OMN 98 everyday!!! :) miss u lady ... cu in halloween!!!! countin' down those days :)))))) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx