Thursday, July 5, 2007

Feliz 4th of July!

Somehow I always seem to develop an animated sense of patriotism when I am out of my home country and so am inclined to truly celebrate national holidays such as the 4th of July. This 4th of July was no exception! Several volunteers that are training in the same city of Tabacundo where I am living organized quite the festive party! We invited all of our host-families and pretty much any and everyone who wanted to come and made hamburgers, hotdogs, chips, potato salad, fruit salad and a lovely American flag cake! We had a bon-fire and roasted marshmallows and lit off bottle rockets and everyone enjoyed the Sparklers! We blasted Creedence, Janis Joplin, LEd Zepplin etc.
Later on we switched to salsa and danced.. there were at least 70 people. Everyone enjoyed the food and music and of course the fireworks! It felt wonderful to share a little piece of life back home with our new friends here in Ecuador. It was an evening to dance, laugh and combine the worlds of home (the states) and my new life (Ecuador) and allow it all to settle in over hamburgers and fireworks. Last night dancing below the brightest starts with an adorable little girl and laughing with her I began to feel more at home. Somewhere between spanish and english, between salsa and janis joplin, between home and Ecuador- I began to sense that I can find my place here. That though this training is hard and yes, I am always screwing up my spanish or I struggle with this or that... I am on my way and am excited for what lies ahead!
Happy Fourth of July! I Hope this finds you well!

No comments: